LEDGER — Face coverings are mandatory again during school hours within Mitchell County school buildings.
The Mitchell County Board of Education during an emergency meeting on Monday, Aug. 30 unanimously approved a decision to reinstate a district-wide mask policy, which comes just days after all three Gouge fourth-grade classrooms were quarantined and the district announced that area schools were closed to students through Tuesday, Sept. 7 amid rising COVID cases.
Masks were previously optional but strongly recommended in area schools and had been since the first day of instruction on Monday, Aug. 16. The updated mask policy took effect immediately but became mandatory on Sept. 7 and will remain in effect through the end of the month when the school board will reexamine the policy and could continue or lift it.
Board Chair Brandon Pitman said in a statement that the board will monitor four goals— decreasing the number of quarantines, ensuring students are adhering to parent or guardian wishes during school hours, continuing in-person instruction and supporting the freedom of choice for parents and guardians.
Pitman cited the Strong Schools NC Public Health Toolkit and the decisions of neighboring school districts while adding that the district is chiefly concerned with the well-being of the students, faculty and staff.
“Our board values freedom and the ability for individuals to evaluate their risk comfort level while respecting the freedom of others that may disagree with one’s choice,” he said. “As many conversations around the pandemic have become political, our board has desired to not let our schools become a political pawn. Unfortunately, any decision we make can be presented or interpreted with a political agenda.”
Mask exemptions or alternative recommendations are allowed for documented medical or religious reasons and parents had the option to complete an opt-out form for their students. Forms were due Sept. 7.
Students who opt-out of masks are required to always maintain 6 feet of social distance. All students will have socially distanced mask breaks throughout the school days.
The district will continue to follow the exposure and quarantine guidelines from the Toe River Health District.
As students return to schools this week after several days of virtual learning, they’ll see plenty of masks within the school buildings that were deep cleaned while students were away this past week.
“With all the quarantines, it is very difficult to have school,” said Superintendent Chad Calhoun. “We decided to be proactive rather than reactive.”
Board members Sam Blevins and Angie Burleson talked about how important it is to follow COVID guidance so students can benefit from continuous in-person instruction.
“I am willing to do that to get face-to-face seat time and get ahead of this COVID,” Burleson said. “For all of our children.”