Spruce Pine Kiwanis Club celebrates 60 years
The Spruce Pine Kiwanis Club was chartered by Kiwanis International May 21, 1957.
The charter membership was the result of the dissolution of the American Business Club, which had 44 members. ABC was formed nationally in 1925 and was organized to help physically and economically challenged children.
Elmer Cline was elected President of the Spruce Pine Kiwanis Club for the remainder of the year ending on Sept. 30, 1957. David Blevins was first vice president, Winston Felts was treasurer and W.Y. “Pee-Wee” Brown was secretary. Board of Directors were Fred Cook, Dr. W.M. Davenport, P.D. Goforth, Dr. Dave Graham, T.V. Hall, Harry Lantz, Bill Lee, Dr. D.D. Phillips and Frank Watson.
Blevins was elected president and served the first full term starting in October 1957.
The early meetings took place at the old country club on Altapass Drive. The catered buffet cost each member $1.50.
One of the early programs was a door-to-door drive to collect used clothing for the local PTA to distribute to needy children.
An Agriculture and Conservation Committee promoted farming programs, one of which was called Calf Chain. This program, in conjunction with the County Extension Agent, purchased heifer calves that were given to qualified 4-H members to raise, show and later use as breeding stock. The initial program included three calves priced at $150 per head.
All calves were later entered in a 4-H showing and two won blue ribbons for their young owners.